Floors take a lot of abuse. They have to put up with our daily foot…
Why do my hardwood floors appear to be drab?
Hardwood floors are an investment. They take time and money to install, and they can be a stunning addition to your home. However, if they aren’t properly maintained, they can quickly lose their shine and begin to look dull and lifeless. The Floor Sanding Melbourne can be of great help. What could be causing this? Here are some of the most common reasons your hardwood floors might not look as shiny as you’d like them to:
Use of Harmful Cleaning Products
The first reason why your hardwood floors look dull is that you’re using harmful cleaning products. The most common culprits are harsh chemicals like ammonia-based cleaners, strong bleach, and chlorine bleach. These products can strip away the finish of your wood flooring and make it look dingy.
Another reason why your floor is getting hazy is that you’re using improper cleaning solutions. Using too much water in the solution won’t help either, as this can dilute the cleaning agent’s effect on dirt and grime, leaving behind a cloudy residue instead of a shiny finish when dry. In addition to this, an insufficient amount of detergent in room temperature water will leave behind streaks after drying, while too much detergent mixed with hot water may result in streaking as well due to flow problems between different sections of flooring being cleaned together with different degrees of hardness/softness.
Wear and Tear
Wear and tear are the most common cause of dull floors. Wear and tear come from regular use, which can be caused by daily use or frequent use.
For example, if you have hardwood floors in your kitchen and you have a toddler who loves to play on them, those hardwood floors will get scratched through normal wear-and-tear (referring to the damage caused by everyday wear). This kind of damage is not repairable; it’s simply time for new flooring!
The same goes with pets: pets like cats have claws that cause scratches on hardwood floors over time – this too causes your beautiful wood to become dull and hazy looking over time as it gets scratched up more often than usual due to their constant need for scratching posts (or whatever else they may find interesting) around your house!
Excessive exposure to sunlight, dirt and dust, water, chemicals, heat, and humidity are some of the many factors that contribute to your hardwood floors getting hazy and dull.
The first step in restoring the natural luster is proper cleaning. You need to wipe off any surface dirt on your hardwood floor using a dry cloth or mop with a microfiber head. If there is an excessive build-up of grime on your floor, then you may need to use an all-purpose cleaner (containing no ammonia) mixed with warm water in equal parts.
You should also avoid walking over wet areas as this will further damage them by leaving footprints behind, which can be difficult to remove later on.
Tips to Prevent Hardwood Flooring from Being Dull
- Use a non-toxic cleaner. Non-toxic cleaners are less likely to dull your flooring’s sheen over time. Be sure to always read the label of any cleaning product before using it on your hardwood floors, especially if you’re concerned about environmental toxins such as ammonia or bleach.
- Use a soft cloth when cleaning your floors. A microfiber cloth or a lint-free rag will do the trick!
- Vacuum your wood floors regularly with a low setting and use an upholstery attachment for furniture and doorways.
- Steam clean once every six months to remove dirt, grime, and bacteria from the surface of your hardwood floors without damaging them in any way! You can also choose between steam mops that use water only (no chemicals) or those that include chemical solutions for extra cleaning power—the choice is yours!
- Get the Floor Sanding Melbourne done by professionals.
If you already have dull wood floors, you should try to restore their luster. To remove the dull appearance of hardwood floors, you must dissolve the built-up layer.
If you’re still not sure what’s causing your hardwood floors to look dull, don’t be afraid to ask a professional. Whether it’s us or someone else, we hope this guide helps you realize the best way forward for your home.